A Great All-Round Sailboat That's Easy-to-sail-- Consistently Wins!
10 Reasons to go J/41 for your IOR Campaign
1. One Ton is the way to go to win. 1985 races not won by J/41s were, for the most part, won by other one-tonners.
2. J/41 is the easiest one tonner to sail. It's the only competitive masthead design. It's not surprising to see the J/41 do better at night, on long distance races, and in local club races, because a masthead boat is simply less critical to trim and sails considerably faster than a fractional rig boat.
3. J/41s place high no matter what the conditions. While other designs have moments of blinding speed interspersed with with unbelievable slows, J/41 has much higher average speeds across the wind range and TWA. Fractional designs (including J/41s so rigged) have the edge when jib reaching and occasionally downwind under 5 kts TWS (when gybing angles are tighter downwind), but the J/41 is unbeatable upwind over 10 kts AWS or downwind over 12 kts TWS. The exceptions are in conditions over 25 kts AWS upwind where small rig Farr 40s excel or in some marginal surfing/wave conditions when close spinnaker reaching. While the J/41 may not be the fastest boat on the course in a given moment, it's never the same boat that is faster when conditions change! In other words, the J/41 is the best all around boat.
4. J/41s hold together. Five survived the rough 1984 Bermuda Race, six survived the 1985 SORC and 2 survived the 1984 SORC without breakdowns. Construction pushes the outer limits with carbon fiber and aircraft grade Baltek Contourkore using 1/8th inch unidirectional skins without compromising structural integrity and impact resistance in critical areas.
5. J/41 competitive life will be longer- because of the strong, no flex, no dent construction. As IOR One Ton competition becomes closer, these factors become as important as they are in one-designs. Soft, flexible boats are just plain slow. You can check flex by tying a string from bow to stern pulpit, making a mark on the mast where it passes. Then, crank up 4,000 lbs on the backstay and see how much the string moves on the mast. Don't buy a boat without making this test!
6. J/41 sail designs are several generations ahead of any new design. Normally it takes three or four design iterations even with the best sailmakers and designers to optimize designs for a given boat. North, Sobstad, Ulmer-Kolius, and Shore now know the J/41 perhaps better than any other IOR design, so you can be sure of winning sails on the first pass.
7. J/41 will be in demand five years from now. Because there are over 6,000 J Owners, the largest segment of racing sailors in PHRF, MORC and in the USYRU with the strongest brand loyalty (82%) in the business. A number of these J Sailors look upon the J/41 as the "ultimate" J to go sailing offshore.
8. The best warranty service in the business from a USA manufacturer. To emphasize this point, ask the owners of custom or imported IOR boats how many hours and dollars they've spent on yard bills and repairs. The response may shock you.
9. Measurement and tuning assistance. The experimenting has been done on 18 J/41s and over 100 certificates. Why spend valuable crew practice time or dollars going through this routine?
10. Availability. The 1986 sailing season starts early. We can deliver a fast, out-of-the-box J/41 ready to start winning and putting silverware on your shelves.
Sailing for Life in Better Sailboats
Sailing is the ultimate freedom, the experience of being at one with nature and the sea, powered only by the wind and one's imagination. It's one of the few "life sports" that offers both a relaxing escape as well as an invigorating challenge. You pick your level of comfort and excitement. Sailing is never the same twice - each time on the water with your sailboat is a unique adventure that can enrich friendships, strengthen family ties, and refresh one's own sense of well-being. How many other outdoor activities can be shared with three or more family generations? It's been said there are two types of sailors in the world - the young and the young-at-heart. How great is that?
What a Difference a J Makes
Fulfilling those sailing dreams starts with finding a sailboat that fits you - whether you aspire to sail close to home, cruise to distant shores, or take up the challenge of competitive sailing. Performance differences between sailboats are greater than differences between golf clubs, tennis rackets, skis or cars. There aren't many wooden or metal tennis rackets, skis or golf clubs in use anymore. That's because newer boat designs that perform better and are easier to use are MORE FUN! A well designed sailboat, like a good sports car, is an extension of its owner. It could take years of sailing other boats to learn the difference that good design and quality make to one's sailing enjoyment. Or you can save time and take advantage of what we've learned and designed into every "J." We invite you to explore our site to learn more.
J/Sailing Gear For 2017
Look great this season in J sailing apparel. Check out the comfortable and fashionable sailing clothing, tech shirts, polo shirts, sailing jackets and sailing hats at the J/Sailing Gear site. Also backpacks, totes, J battleflags and other fun items like half-model sailboats are available as gifts and trophies.
J/Gear is fully customizable to your needs. When you order, you can specify just about anything you wish, including boat name, boat type, yacht club, hailing port, etc. Please be sure to visit our store here.
Upcoming Sailing Events
Jan 5-7- Quantum J/70 Winter Series- Tampa, FL
Jan 19-21- J/Fest St Pete- St Petersburg, FL
Feb 9-11- Quantum J/70 Winter Series- Tampa, FL
Feb 15-18- St Pete NOOD Regatta- St Petersburg, FL
Feb 17-18- SCYA Midwinter Regatta- Long Beach, CA
Feb 19- RORC Caribbean 600 Race- English Harbour, Antigua
Feb 23-25- J/70 Midwinters- Coconut Grove, FL
Mar 1-4- Heineken St Maarten Regatta- Simpson Bay, St Maarten
Mar 7-10- Bacardi Cup J/70 Invitational- Coconut Grove, FL
Mar 16-18- San Diego NOOD Regatta- San Diego, CA
NEW 40' Offshore Speedster for 5 or fewer Crew
The new J/121 is a 40’ offshore speedster that can be day raced or distance sailed by just 5 or fewer crew…. the best short-handed J ever…. capable of winning on any race track while also excelling in daysailing and weekend mode. J/121 redefines offshore sailboat racing as a recreation and shared adventure with friends - fulfilling the growing need to simplify life and reconnect with those you really want to sail with on a boat that’s pure magic to sail. Learn more about J/121 here.
Elegance, Comfort & Style - NEW J/112E
J/112E is the newest “E” Series of sport-cruising yachts. An Evolution of Elegant performance cruising design. This dual- purpose 36 footer has a spacious two-cabin layout and a roomy, comfortable, cockpit. Perfect for the annual club cruise, offshore racing or short-handed blue-water sailing. Learn about J/112E here.
J/70 - The Sportboat Changing Sailing
The J/70 speedster is a fun, fast, stable, 22 footer that can be towed behind a small SUV and ramped launched and rigged by two people. J/70 sails upwind like her larger sibling (the J/80) and off the wind she simply flies - planing fast in moderate winds. With 1,300+ boats delivered worldwide, the choice is clear. Learn more about J/70 here.
A Family-friendly One-Design & Daysailer - J/88
The J/88 combines big boat feel with sportsboat-like acceleration. Add a weekend interior, inboard head, engine and huge cockpit and you have a versatile 29 footer. Blistering upwind speed of 6.5 kts and trailblazing speed offshore means smiles all around as you collect both the silverware and priceless sailing memories. Learn more about J/88 here.